Students participate in international charities on campus

Kaylie Watts carries a stack of shoeboxes filled with presents for children in poverty-stricken countries. The boxes contain donations ranging from toys to toiletries.

With Christmas right around the corner, students are looking to share their generosity with those who are less fortunate than they are. Operation Christmas Child and Angel Tree are two charities that allow students to do just that.

Operation Christmas Child, or OCC, is a project of Samaritan’s Purse and has been available for students to take part in on campus for the past four years.

“Being involved with this organization is a real character builder,” said Jennifer Brown, assistant director for leadership and volunteerism. “It is such a rewarding experience knowing that by putting another’s needs before your own, you’re making a great impact on a child’s life.”

When taking part in OCC, students will need to pack a shoebox full of toys, toiletries, school supplies and whatever else a child might want or need. It has also been suggested to include a personal note to the child expressing your kindness. In this case, a child may write back.

However, avoid packing items such as war-related items, food, medications and breakables. Students will get to select whether their shoebox will go to a girl or a boy, as well as the age group, so they can customize their boxes for that child.

“It’s an amazing feeling knowing that a few items in a shoebox-items we take for granted-are such a big deal for poverty stricken children,” said UNA junior David Johnson. “This will be my third year taking part in OCC, and I always feel so rewarded by giving back to others.”

The boxes typically go to children in foreign countries. Students may track their box by going to samaritanspurse.org, making a donation and receiving a label to put on the shoebox being sent. This way, students can find out the destination of their boxes and possibly the child who receives the box.

“I love being involved with Operation Christmas Child,” said junior and RSO co-chair Amber Griggs. “The littlest things that we as students can do make the biggest difference to a child who may have never even seen a Christmas present in their life.”

OCC is not the only charity that UNA encourages students to get involved with. Angel Tree is an organization in which volunteers pick a child’s name and gift list from a Christmas tree and purchase presents for that child in hopes that his or her Christmas will be more pleasant.

The names on the tree are mostly of children whose parents are incarcerated and cannot afford a nice Christmas for their children.

“Not every child is fortunate enough to have Christmas with their family or be presented with gifts,” said Jori Chatman, service chair of UPC. “Angel Tree is a great way to show those kids that people do care.”

In the past few years, these two charities have been successful with students, and UNA is hoping the pattern continues. Junior and SGA Vice President of Senate Emily McCann has taken part in both OCC and Angel Tree.

“My family and I have participated in OCC and Angel Tree for years,” she said. “It’s such a blessing to provide kids with presents for Christmas. Plus, the shopping part is always fun, too.”

Any students interested in volunteering for either charity should stop by the Student Engagement Office for more information.