Habitual lack of sleep at night leads to weight gain

College students tend to get very little sleep. They also tend to gain the dreaded freshman 15. The lack of sleep that students are getting is correlated with the weight gain that they are experiencing.

Nurse Peggy Bergeron from the UNA Infirmary confirmed the correlation between sleep loss and weight gain. She said that it is proven that a lack of sleep can cause weight gain even when one is on a restricted calorie diet. This weight gain can happen over a short period of two weeks.

Bergeron also explained that most students underestimate the amount of sleep necessary for proper functioning and a healthy lifestyle.

“Obesity is closely related to sleep loss,” she said. “Each person needs a certain amount of sleep, but most college students should get anywhere from eight to 10 hours a night.”

She also said that age has an effect on how much sleep you should get. Younger children should get more sleep than adults.

It is impossible to make sleep up. Once you lose a night of sleep, it is gone and your body will suffer the consequences.

In “Relationship of Sleep Hygiene Awareness, Sleep Hygiene Practices, and Sleep Quality in University Students,” written by Franklin C. Brown, Walter C. Buboltz, Jr. and Barlow Soper, it is noted that most college students suffer from Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome. This syndrome occurs when students wake up later than usual on weekends or non-school days. This can lead to poor performance in class as well as sleepiness throughout the day.

Another study conducted by Karla Gale showed that those who experienced 10 hours of sleep for half of the study and four hours for the other half gained almost three pounds over eleven days. The tested subjects gained weight even though they had a decrease in food consumption.

Energy drinks can affect sleep patterns as well. Drinking large amounts of caffeine can affect the mind and body and cause more sleep deprivation. Bergeron emphasized the dangers of sleep deprivation. Sleep disorders can cause mental disorders along with weight gain. The lack of sleep can also lead to irritability and depression.

Bergeron also stated that pulling an all-nighter can result in a lower GPA. Medical majors are students that are known for getting the least amount of sleep because of the amount of studying that they do.

Bergeron’s tips to sleeping well and living a healthy lifestyle include daily exercise at the same time each day, going to sleep and waking up at the same time, avoiding big meals and caffeine before bed, relaxing before bed and avoiding studying or doing homework on the bed.

The bed is for sleep and relaxing; the body becomes confused when it has to do other things, such as homework, rather than sleep on the bed. According to Bergeron, sleep should be a priority in life. Social activities should be scheduled around sleep, not the other way around.