Hispanic Culture Organization hosts Latin Dance Night

The Hispanic Culture Organization hosted Latin Dance Night, a night of dancing, food and free T-shirts, to promote awareness of Hispanic culture, Nov. 14.

Latin Dance Night is an annual event sponsored by HCO in an effort to highlight Hispanic food and music.

“This is an event that brings people together to enjoy some authentic Hispanic food, listen to some good music, dance and enjoy each other’s company,” said Dalton Shorette, president of HCO.

The first 50 students with a mane card received a free Latin Dance Night T-shirt. An Amazon fire stick was raffled through a random drawing of the names of participants during the event.

“An end goal of the event is just to bring awareness and fun to the Hispanic culture,” Shorette said. “The Hispanic culture is based around fiestas, and we wanted to bring awareness to that side of the culture.”

This event was made possible by the student activity fee. A dj played different types of Latin music throughout the event and students danced and mingled.

“Latin Dance Night is very special to me, because I am Hispanic,” said junior Karina Meza, member of the HCO. “I was born and raised in Mexico, and this a great way for us Americans and other international students Hispanic culture.”

Meza said Latin Dance Night allows students to see the type of music related to Hispanic culture and how music, dance and food are important to the culture.

The HCO is an organization for anyone passionate about celebrating and sharing the beauty of the many diverse Hispanic cultures.

HCO’s goal is to promote understanding of the various Hispanic cultures through involvement with the student body, according to una.edu.

“We want the world, our nation, our state, and our community to recognize the diversity present here at UNA,” Shorette said.

The mission of HCO is to educate, support and strengthen relations between non-Hispanic students and Hispanic students, as well as the community through exposure and participation in Hispanic and Latin American themed events and activities.

This organization is open to all students. Students do not have to be taking a Spanish class, speak Spanish or be a Hispanic student to join. Members must be in good standing with the university and not under any disciplinary or academic probation.