Homecoming to include spirit challenges and alumni events

Homecoming captures students and alumni clothed in purple and gold, colorful floats parading down the street and fans cheering as the 2018 queen and king are crowned.

The theme of UNA’s 2018 Homecoming is “It’s Time to Rock and Roar” and will include student and alumni events Oct. 11-14.

Recognized Student Organizations can compete for “Most School Spirit Titles” in the homecoming spirit challenge. The homecoming spirit challenge is an annual tradition that includes three categories, such as window decorating, pep-rally and parade float.

In the window painting competition, RSOs will paint a window of the Gulliot University Center based off the overall theme of homecoming. Competition will begin Oct. 8.

The pep-rally competition consists of displays of school spirit and a skit prepared by each RSO. The pep-rally will be held at the UNA Turf Field Oct. 12 at 9 p.m. The winners of the window painting competition will be announced during the pep rally.

The RSO that creates the best float for the homecoming parade will be announced at the homecoming game Oct. 13th. The parade will begin at 11 a.m. in downtown Florence.

“My favorite part of homecoming is the parade,” said junior Ruth Ann Bates. “We get to show off all of our awesome organizations, students and staff.”

The Overall Spirit Challenge winners will be announced during the half-time show at the football game.

Each event will be individually judged and results will be tallied to determine the overall winners. There will be three categories, including men, women, and coed. In each competition, there will be a first and second place winner per category and then an overall homecoming winner.

“The homecoming spirit challenge is designed to encourage pride and spirit in students during homecoming week,” said Tyler Thompson, director of Student Engagement.

All team members must be currently enrolled students and have teams submitted before Sept. 12

“It seems like there is such a different mood on campus during homecoming week,” said senior Kayson Skalnick. “Everyone is so excited for the events, and there is always something going on every day whether it is window painting or simply building a float.”

Prior to the game, there will be a tailgate at Braly Stadium at 3 p.m.

“Tailgate is a time for students and alumni to meet and share stories about their times are UNA,” Skalnick said.

Other events on Oct. 13 include the Student Government Association past officer’s breakfast, the athletic hall of fame induction, UNA nurses rock and roar around the world: nurses on a mission, Honors College coffee social, collier library archives exhibit and the class of 1968 Golden Lion Reunion.