Help if someone is considering suicide

Help if someone is considering suicide

1-800-273-8255. That is the first thing that comes up when someone types something along the lines of “suicide” into Google search. This is the number to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline.

In April 2017, rapper Logic released a song with the Suicide Prevention Lifeline number as the title. The next day, the lifeline’s number received almost 5,000 calls. Every year, suicide is a leading cause of death in the United States.

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, if you are experiencing depression or suicidal thoughts, having a conversation about it is the best first step to take, whether it is talking with a counselor, a trusted friend or even a suicide crisis service. Mental health is a topic that many people are too nervous to talk about as they are in fear of not knowing what to say or being awkward.

“Talking about it is preventing it,” said local high school counselor Lorie Hall. “Most people think that if they start talking about topics such as suicide with their friends or children that it will increase their curiosity or even desire to act upon self-harm. That is a fallacy. Communication is key to preventing suicide.”

Seize the Awkward is an organization that implements the importance of reaching out to people in times of need. Many people have shown they do not want to open up to friends or counselors because they are afraid of being a burden. Seize the Awkward is encouraging people to do what they say, seize the awkward. They offer personal stories for inspiration, warning signs and even conversation starters to get the topic going.

The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention provides information and resources for those who are having suicidal thoughts, people who want to talk to someone having suicidal thoughts and more. Many signs include, social isolation, self-harm, anxiety, negative outlook, anger, hopelessness, alcohol and drug abuse and more.

For students who feel like they need to talk to someone, UNA provides Student Counseling Services.

Student counseling offers support in any areas regarding issues that may be affecting their mental health and even offer a “Mental Health Screening” on their website to help students understand more about what they’re feeling and if they should seek out professional help.

Services are available to any student who is currently enrolled in classes at the university and has paid the student health fee. They are open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. Thursdays they are open from 10 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. or students can call, 256-765-5215.