Local restaurant features retro music

Soul: Wingery and Records

As my friends, sophomore Melanie Brown and freshman Charles Gordon, and I walked into a quaint restaurant, Soul: Wingery and Records welcomed  our senses with retro music and the delicious scent of fried food. 

Located on South Poplar Street in downtown Florence, Soul: Wingery and Records has been a popular destination for students since the aesthetically pleasing shop opened last summer.

Although the restaurant is small, it is packed with personality. The walls are lined with vintage records for sale. 

A boom-box next to the counter continuously plays todayís hits and yesterdayís favorites. 

Although I heard throwback tunes like Michael Jacksonís ìP.Y.T.î while there, I also heard newer songs. Soul featured a nice blended sound in their music choices.

Brown said she loves the restaurant and all the employees there are friendly.

ìThe sweetest people work there,î Brown said. ìThey are always so nice.î

I opted to order the renowned chicken and waffles. Although I stuck with water, there were creatively named drink choices such as Purple Rain and BeyoncÈ Lemonade that Brown described as ìso yummy.î

We enjoyed listening to music and investigating the records while our food cooked. I concluded that music-lovers could find interesting records here, including those by the Commodores, Michael Jackson and many others.

Shortly after, my waiter presented me with a scrumptious waffle with wings sitting on top of it. My first thought was, ìWill this be a good combination?î The answer is yes. 

The wings had an appetizing seasoning on them and fell off the bone easily. Next, I tasted the waffle covered in powdered sugar. This sweet flavor was the perfect balance with the savory wings.

Gordon ordered loaded fries covered in sauce and seasoning. He said he enjoyed his meal choice. His plate was completely barren when we finished because he said the fries were ìso good.î

My meal and experience were definitely worth the $10 I spent. The affordable prices of meals there will keep me coming back for more.

Overall, I give Soul four stars with my only complaint being the minimum seating available. The food was delicious, the music was groovy and the prices were affordable. Not to mention, Soul is open from 11 a.mñ9 p.m. MondayñThursday, and 11 a.m.ñ11 p.m. FridayñSaturday. These hours are ideal for college students.

Soul: Wingery and Records was good for my soul.