Women’s march provides voice

Deshler high school student Alexis Barnett speaks to a group of marchers. “We need the women to have a voice here, and we need to come together and not separate,” said Muscle Shoals High School student Sarah Boling.

Women and men gathered downtown in Wilson Park to participate in a local women’s march Jan. 27.

Many helped organize the event, including Deshler high school student Alexis Barnett and Muscle Shoals High School student Sarah Boling.

People began arriving at 3:30 p.m., and the march began at 4 p.m.

“We just need someone to have a voice,” Boling said. “We need the women to have a voice here, and we need to come together and not separate.”

Junior Madelyne Barnard said it was great to see how many college students were there.

“It’s nice getting support from the other students,” Barnard said.

This march allowed people to stand for their beliefs, reach the community and use their First Amendment right, said Northwest Shoals Community College student Krisslynn Stutts.

Wesley Hawkins, a member of the Shoals community, said he marched because he wants equal rights for everyone.

“I don’t want to see Planned Parenthood defunded, like Trump and the Republicans want to do,” he said. “So, I’d like to bring attention to that and support Planned Parenthood because they do so much more than abortions. (Abortions are) just a small fraction of what they do.”

Hawkins said he does not support violent protests. Instead, he wants to raise awareness of the issues he cares about.