Students vote Collier best study spot

Being a busy college student comes with challenges. One of these is finding the time and motivation to study, but having a nice location to hit the books helps.

The Flor-Ala recently conducted a survey, and, with 74 percent of the votes, participants chose Collier Library as the best local place to study.

The library has Wi-Fi throughout the building, 75 computers, two black -and-white printers, one color printer, 18 laptops and three scanners, said Access Services Librarian Doris McDaniel.

The library also has services for disabled students, said Dean of Library Services and Educational Technology Services Melvin Davis.

“(We have) adaptive technologies,” he said. “We have two of the visually-impaired machines.”

It is a good place to study because of the furniture and noise level, said sophomore Julie Heflin.

“The quiet helps me focus more on my work,” she said. “They also have large tables that I use. I love these because I can lay out all of my work without it feeling cluttered.”

Students are separate from others, which can cut down on distractions, said freshman Sara Anne Murray.

“The study rooms are a great feature of the library,” she said. “I can be isolated from other students and be able to play music without bothering other students.”

In the last week the library has upgraded one study room with the addition of new furniture and a monitor students can plug laptops into, Davis said. He hopes they will be able to upgrade more soon.

Being able to schedule time for a quiet room helps students with motivation, said senior Alex Dabbs.

“When you reserve a study room, you are logging in time to study,” he said. “You’re more likely to study if you set aside the time.”

Beginning fall 2015, students were able to reserve a room online before they arrived at the library.

Mediascapes are available downstairs, McDaniel said. Students working in groups are able to plug their laptops into pucs and take turns putting their work on the monitor.

“You can connect four computers to them,” she said. “Then you can turn your puc on, and it will put what you’re working on up on the screen. Then your partner can touch their puc, and it will show what they are working on.”

Full-time college students study 15 hours a week on average, according to the National Survey of Student Engagement. However, a student enrolled in 15 credit hours should study for 30 hours a week.

Dabbs said reserving a study room will help students reach their goal.

Heflin said the structured atmosphere of Collier library drew her in.

“I’m able to get more studying done there than at my apartment,” she said. “There is much more structure there that helps me focus on my work.”

Cold Water Books in Tuscumbia came in second with 10 percent of the votes. People know the bookstore for its atmosphere and coffee.

“While it’s an interesting place, it’s too far for me,” said Heflin. “If I want to study, then I like to stay close to home.”

One thing that makes the library an excellent resource are the hours its open, Davis said.

The library is open Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m.- 1 a.m., Friday 7:30 a.m.- 4:30 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m.- 5p.m. and Sunday 2 p.m.- 1 a.m.