Students have options for managing finances

One of the biggest problems students face is how to budget money, and whether our source of income comes from a parent or our jobs, we still need to find ways to make our money last until the next paycheck.

Normally, students who work get paid every two weeks. I know a lot of us want nice things and would enjoy shopping until we drop, but depending on how much students make, that might not be the best idea.

Around campus, students try to get as much as they can with their money. Instead of going out to eat, many students cook or even split the cost of food with friends.

Also, few students are driving around with nice cars on campus. Even if students are not making a car payment, they still have to pay for gas, no matter which type of gas they buy.

Many students get involved with couponing, which can save a lot of money if done correctly. It is a great way to save money when the paychecks are stretched thin.

We all know Wal-Mart is the place to be and has pretty much anything a student might need. Many people are even going cheaper. Fred’s, Dollar General, Aldi and Family Dollar are the places to get little things such as toiletries, snacks and any type of supplies for a low cost.

To save money, some students, like myself, have to sit down and budget paychecks to not overspend. Budgeting is a great way to figure out how much to spend on certain items, and it can help students realize what they spend too much money on.

To help students save that extra dollar, here are a few tips from usnews.com:

• Get a bank account that will not charge overdraft fees.
  • Cook instead of eating out (or learn if you don’t know how). Even going to inexpensive places such as McDonald’s can add up quickly.
  • Save money for a rainy day.
  • Get rid of the non-necessities, such as cable.
  • Stay in when you can. Going out once a week is fine, but going out every day can be terrible for finances.