Students, professors debate university closings

Allison Tucker, Austin Meadows, and Frankie Miller build a snow man. 

With highs in the 60s during the day and sleet at night, Alabama weather has not failed to show its wild side, especially the past few weeks.

Officials delayed and canceled classes due to extreme weather. Students and professors said they are split in their opinions on these decisions.

“I actually feel bittersweet about missing classes,” said sophomore Trevor Kurzhal. “I very much enjoyed the time off, but I certainly don’t enjoy having to catch up on monumental amounts

of work.”

Freshman Stephanie Waybright said she disagrees. Not only was she happy to miss her classes, she is not worried about the workload.

“We have traditionally had students who commute, sometimes long drives, and the sudden changes in weather are a safety issue,” said English Instructor Pamela Kingsbury. “It’s better to err on the side of caution.”

Despite the fact most people enjoyed the time off, some students see canceled classes as a waste of money.

“I think a few times they were delaying or canceling classes wasn’t really necessary, because sometimes the roads were fine and we could’ve gotten to class OK,” said sophomore Casey Wright. “I have missed two weeks of Spanish, and Spanish is my major. Now we’re all trying to catch up and it’s

really hard.”

Kurzhal said he does not see canceling classes as bad thing, but as additional vacation time.

“While it may seem like a waste of money to some, those students will make up the work that was initially scheduled in due time,” Kurzhal said. “So, really, the students aren’t actually losing any money on it.”

While there are some students focusing on the financial side of classes missed, a majority of students are worried about makeup classes, they said.

“My chemistry class will be the hardest to make up,” said junior Emily Murphy. “This is because we cover so much material during our class periods, and missing classes makes it hard to stay caught up and on track.”

Students are not the only ones worried. Due to certain classes being missed, professors have to revise their coursework and catch classes up on coursework.

“In Biology we have multiple sections,” said Lisa Blankinship, assistant professor of biology. “When we have one class or two classes miss it throws everybody off.”

While classes might be different for every student, many class schedules will more than likely be

rearranged and adjusted.

“I think students adjust well to changed schedules,” Kingsbury said. “By college, most students have experienced at least one or two school years with schedules that have been adjusted because of the weather. It’s probably a good lesson in the value of flexibility.”