Car maintenance program will teach basic mechanics

by Life Editor Mari Williams

For students, figuring out the workings of a car can seem like rocket science. If there are not any apps for that, there is a class for that.

The Women’s Center will hold its third annual Basic Car Maintenance class, a part of their Practical Skills series, Sept. 12 at 11 a.m.

“I’m of a different generation, obviously, from the students here,” said Emily Kelley, coordinator of the Women’s Center and founder of the Practical Skills series.

Practical Skills is a series of programs geared towards providing women with essential skills.

“When I was raised, there were a lot of things we were told to not worry about because our ‘husband’ would take care of it when we got older — specifically taking care of a car or mowing the grass,” Kelley said.

The Women’s Center will bring Bobby Nabors, a Jerry Damson Honda car salesman, to explain different aspects of car maintenance.

“What I do is go in and give them an overall basic understanding of what to look for on a car to buy because most of them have never bought a car before,” Nabors said.

Nabors will bring a Honda, lift the hood and trunk of the vehicle and explain various parts of the car, Kelley said.

Nabors will not just talk about maintenance of a car but will go into detail about buying a vehicle.

“He will talk about buying a car — this is the part I find particularly interesting,” Kelley said. “He’ll talk about how to talk to a car salesman, what to expect from one and what kind of language you should not accept from a salesman.”

Sophomore Aleigha Edwards said she thinks the program will help students who are unfamiliar with car terminology.

“The program could be very beneficial for students who don’t quite know the right questions to ask, what price to settle for or the proper maintenance a car needs,” Edwards said. “It should help college students to communicate with the salesman in a way that doesn’t allow them to take advantage of our believed naiveness when it comes to cars.”

Kelley said she does not want women left out of learning practical skills as they were in her generation.

“I thought that it was very important that women leave college with this knowledge and these practical skills that they might not have gotten at home,” she said.

Basic car maintenance series gives its participants a better understanding of a range of topics dealing with cars.

“They will leave with a better knowledge of cars in general, a better knowledge of caring for a car and a much better knowledge of how to buy a car,” Kelley said.

Edwards said she looks forward to learning about the maintenance of a car.

“I will definitely be attending because I would have no idea how to negotiate with a salesman, nor do I know how to take care of my car beyond the point of washing it and changing the oil,” she said.

After attending the program, Kelley said women come back praising the class.

“They say they learned a lot, it gave them great ideas, and they feel better prepared,” she said. “They’re just glad that they went.”