Study shows bump in sexual assault first few weeks of school

For incoming freshman, the threat of sexual assault is real.

In a study by Matthew Kimble, Andrada Neacsiu, William Flack and Jessica Horner, published in the Journal of American College Health, “University and college health and counseling centers frequently warn female students about the red zone — a period early in a student’s first year at college during which she may be at higher risk for unwanted sexual experiences.”

Red Zone may be a problem on other campuses but Bob Pastula, chief of campus police, said this is not the case at UNA.

“We don’t really have a particular problem with that at this point and time of year, we just never have,” Pastula said. “There’s never been a spontaneous outburst of sexual assaults during the first few weeks of school.”

Though Pastula said he does not notice an increase on campus, Kathy Connolly, executive director of Rape Response, said she does see an increase of sexual assaults and rape among college students in the area during Red Zone.

“When we look, we do see a bump  —usually in college students. It’s a very under reported crime, so sometimes what you’re seeing is not in any way indicative of how much is happening,” Connolly said.

Sophomore Brianna Coleman said she thinks there are measures the campus can take to better protect its students.

“I think that SNAP is a good program where the students can be escorted. But we also need more security in parking lots and in problem areas particularly at night so that students feel safe,” Coleman said.

Education is a precaution we as a campus community can take to stop the rise in sexual assaults and rapes during Red Zone.

“I think the biggest thing on campus that we can do to reduce risk, frankly, is to do more education on consent with everybody,” Connolly said.

It’s important to know who you are hanging out with and have friends you can rely on nearby, Pastula said.

“Since I’ve been here we’ve only had one event of stranger rape and we’ve probably had – if I’m going to guess – four or five (reported assaults) since I’ve been here,” he said.

Connolly agreed.

“Most rapes, particularly on campus, 95 percent of rapes are (committed by) someone you know,” said Connolly.

Connolly stressed the importance of being alert when drinking in unfamiliar places.

“I think if you’re going to heighten your awareness in order to reduce your risk it’s important to be more aware of your own surroundings, at a party, than even out walking on campus,” Connolly said.