International student challenges provide opportunity

International students involved in the English as a Second Language program are challenged more in their studies at UNA than their American counterparts. “Many students have to get through the program in a certain amount of time,” said adjunct ESL instructor Brian Mulack. ESL students must complete four terms rather than two semesters so they advance through their studies more quickly.

On top of learning a new language, international students face numerous other challenges most American students do not face when attempting to gain a diploma.

International students involved in the English as a Second Language program are involved in four eight-week class sessions, two sessions per semester, according to the Office of International Affairs’ policy.

“In my opinion they have more chance to move up and down with the eight-week sessions,” said adjunct ESL instructor Brian Mulack. “Many students have to get through the program in a certain amount of time based on scholarships they receive from their country. The sessions allow them to get through it all faster and move to different levels.”

Classes for international students take place in Powers Hall, where students take any mixture of speaking, grammar, reading, listening or writing classes in one of five levels ranked from beginner to advanced. Each class occurs at the same time every day.

“Level one is not knowing any English and level five is very proficient in a specific area,” Mulack said. “We do this because the students need to be comfortable learning ABC’s or random words. We keep them separate so they all get what they need.”

Adjunct Arabic instructor and former ESL student Ali

AlNasar said ESL classes provide a stable learning environment.

“In ESL you’re taught about U.S. culture as well as how to speak, write, listen and become grammatically correct,” AlNasar said. “They know you’re from a different country, so they allow translations. It becomes a little different when you become academic.”

ESL student Ye Bojie said he finds the separate terms difficult.

“It seems like you get two finals for one semester,” Bojie said. “I’m always trying to figure out how to make my every day go fast. Sometimes you are desperate to get out of the building as soon as possible, for whatever reason. You can get tired of language.”

Should a student receive a C, D or F letter-grade for a given class, they do not move up a level, rather are required to retake said class, according to ESL policies.

“Academic courses are very different from ESL in that ESL is more skills-based,” Mulack said. “If they don’t meet the standard, they’re not ready. If you don’t know certain basics, you can’t go on to the next part. It keeps students from drowning in a language.”

ESL students are placed in different levels based on test scores, according to the policy.

“The Compass ACT ESL Placement Test will be given to all new students to determine level placements in each subject,” the policy said. “A student who scores level six in all areas may be eligible to waive ESL classes…(or) that subject.”

After taking level four and five classes, ESL students may begin taking “academic” classes, or classes for the major, minor and general requirements.

“In ESL it’s so small so we work closely and stay on top of students work and homework and make sure they’re excelling,” Mulack said. “In academic classes it’s not that professors don’t care, they just have a lot more students so (international students) don’t have someone on top of them and they struggle with that.”

A big issue of becoming academic lies with international students being unable to translate for their classes.

“Some professors won’t let you translate certain vocabulary you’re unfamiliar with,” AlNasar said. “On the plus side, they communicate with you as they would their American students.”

Outside of the ESL program, students are encouraged to sign up for the Language Partner program in Powers Hall, Mulack said.

“The friends of international students and language partner programs are vital for ESL and American students to get involved with another culture,” Mulack said. “Students get hesitant because they don’t know what to expect, but it’s a great resource. I really can’t stress it enough.”

Cross-cultural interaction provides the most important lessons a student can learn, Bojie said.

“Sometimes ESL means a lot to me,” Bojie said. “You’re learning something more than just language. You’re learning culture and a more effective way to talk with somebody. I think I gain more that way.”