New social media app offers short-lived entertainment

Imagine yourself walking around a dimly lit forest possibly brooding over the meaning of life. You suddenly stumble upon an unusually large tree and begin to ponder its origin. Normally you would be stumped and forever left questioning the name of that fascinatingly tall tree, but fear not. Twitter co-founder Biz Stone has created a search engine app that uses social networking to answer your most trivial head-scratching questions.

The new app, Jelly, uses Facebook friends and Twitter followers who also have the app and enlists them to answer your questions. It is a great app — in theory.

According to Jelly’s website the app was founded April 2013 by Biz Stone and Ben Finkel.

“We chose the jellyfish to represent our product because it has a loose network of nerves that act as a ‘brain’ — similar to the way we envision loosely distributed networks of people coordinating via Jelly to help each other,” the site reads.

To use Jelly, you must have a Facebook or Twitter, and you must also allow Jelly to have access to your accounts so the app can connect you with other friends who use the app.

The first problem is few people are users of the app. If the app were as popular as Facebook or Twitter, the fun would last longer than 20 minutes.

I began using the app with two other people in the Student Publications Office, but at the time we did not have any burning questions that could only be answered by our social media friends and none came to mind later.

My experience with the app was fun, but extremely short-lived. After I had taken a few pictures of trivial things and sent some funny replies there was nothing left for me to do. Huh?

I have several issues with this app, the first being you cannot choose who you want to send your question to. Second, the only people who can answer your questions are your Facebook and Twitter friends.

In reality I would choose Google over this app any day. The app is a failed attempt at what seems like a drunken idea gone wrong. With the amount of search engines we have today, this app is extremely pointless.

I do not mean to be so harsh, but I have had this app for at least two weeks now and have only used it once — maybe two times — and never for its intended purpose. My advice to Stone and Finkel is to spend a bit more time improving the app’s usefulness before they try to unleash something seemingly life-altering.