Mental Health facility in Florence offers counseling, treatment for students

The dawn breaks on a cold January morning, casting light upon the Riverbend Center for Mental Health. Located only a few blocks from campus, Riverbend offers a variety of counseling and treatment options to residents of the Shoals community, including UNA students, said Riverbend Clinical Director Liz James.

Riverbend Center for Mental Health, located at 635 W. College St., Florence, is the facility designated to treat residents of Lauderdale, Colbert and Franklin counties who are diagnosed with mental illnesses, substance abuse or emotional conditions.

Anyone who walks in the door or otherwise contacts Riverbend can get some form of help, said Riverbend Clinical Director Liz James.

“No reference is required from another physician to get treatment here,” James said. “However, there are state requirements that all patients must meet to be considered mentally ill and to receive treatment.”

Hallie Brown, a freshman, is pleased to know that a mental health center is located conveniently near campus, she said.

“I think it’s great to have a place like that so close by because it makes it easier for students to get help when they need it,” Brown said.

Typically, college-aged students who are treated at Riverbend are seen for substance abuse, anxiety disorders and mood disorders, such as depression, James said. Substance abuse among college students usually involves marijuana, alcohol or prescription pain medicine.

“Most of the UNA students that we see are experiencing problems that require more than what the on-campus counseling service is able to provide,” James said. “College is a time of adjustment, and sometimes students just get overwhelmed.”

Student counseling services typically refers students to Riverbend when it is clear that the patient needs to be evaluated by a psychiatrist because they don’t have one on campus, said Lynne Martin, director of student counseling services.

“We often refer students to the appropriate resource when they are experiencing problems with one of three things,” Martin said. “If the student is struggling with drug or alcohol abuse, if he or she needs specialized, long-term care or if a psychiatric evaluation is needed, we will refer a student to another facility, such as Riverbend.”

Treatment options vary and depend on the patient and his or her symptoms and diagnosis, James said.

“Both group and individual therapies are available for students experiencing problems or going through a rough patch,” James said. “Counseling, medication or a combination maybe used to treat anyone diagnosed with a mental illness.”

The ideal situation would be that the patient seeks counseling services and, if needed, takes medication, she said.

Senior Taylor Davis thinks that Riverbend is a good place to have near the university, he said.

“I think that it’s good to have a mental health center so close to campus because when somebody needs help, they have it right here,” Davis said. “It also gives students who are going to school to work in the mental health field a place to study and intern.”

Riverbend’s employees have a variety of education levels, ranging from doctorate degrees to certifications. Master’s level employees perform initial psychiatric evaluations to determine if a person meets state requirements for treatment, James said.

“Rigorous credentials processes are used during the hiring process, so we don’t really staff any volunteers,” James said.

Insurance is accepted at Riverbend and cost is determined on a sliding-fee scale, James said, meaning that treatment costs are determined by patient income.

“This is very helpful for most college students, because, as we know, most college students don’t have much money,” she said.

Students should not be concerned about confidentiality at Riverbend or worry about the university or other people finding out about their mental state, James said.

“Confidentiality is always maintained here,” “James said. “No one can have access to any information about a patient without us having written consent from the patient.”

Riverbend staffs a 24-hour crisis line, which may be reached by calling the main line at 256-764-3431.

Student Counseling services may be contacted by phone at 256-765-5215, by email at [email protected] or in person at 555 Oakview Circle.