Facebook remains popular despite other sites’ success

With new social media sites such as Pinterest, Twitter and Instagram growing in popularity, it would seem that older social media sites like Facebook would lose many of their users. However, Facebook is more popular than ever, said Trey Edwards, social media specialist.

“Facebook just crossed 1.5 billion users in October,” Edwards said. “This is a 23 percent increase from their previous statistic release in March 2012. 20 percent of everyone in the entire world is on Facebook.”

Facebook’s change in audience indicates growth, Edwards said.

“The largest demographic of Facebook is currently the 25 to 34 category, which comprises about 30 percent of the total Facebook population and is different than their original target audience of 18 to 25,” Edwards said. “The people who were 18 to 25 when Facebook was founded are 25 to 34 now. This means that (Facebook) has actually kept their users over a long period of time.”

Facebook has never been in a stronger financial position either, Edwards said.

“Facebook’s profit comes entirely from ads, and they are paid per impression and per click,” Edwards said. “This means that the more people that are on Facebook, the more money they make. Facebook is worth over $100 billion, and depending on how you measure it, could be one of the top five strongest companies in the S&P 500, as far as future revenue potential.”

However, Facebook will have to watch out for competition, Edwards said.

“The only demographic that Facebook is struggling in is the 13 to 18 range and very slightly in the 18 to 25 range,” Edwards said. “This comes from Instagram, (which) is only popular because it has something Facebook doesn’t — no parents.”

Social media sites are popular because they allow us to alter others’ perception of us, said Andrea Hunt, assistant professor of sociology.

“Facebook remains important because it gives us a place to live our lives publicly, share information about ourselves and to present ourselves in a certain way,” Hunt said. “If you look at how people present themselves on Facebook, it is about creating a version of who we want others to see.”

Young adults might be leaving Facebook to maintain professionalism, Hunt said.

“As you get older and start entering into the workforce, you really have to think more about how you present yourself in public, and if there’s any kind of implications or consequences for the information that you share on Facebook,” Hunt said. “ So, you may see college students, as they start making that transition into a professional in their career, start not having as much presence on Facebook. Employers do look at that and see what kind of person you are.”

Competition between social sites definitely has an effect on Facebook usage, said freshman Carissa Rumble.

“For some people, I feel completely blown up,” Rumble said. “But I know with older people, like grandmas and mothers, it’s a lot more popular. With teenagers and college students, it’s definitely less popular.”

Facebook won’t have as bad of an outcome as other social media sites have had, Rumble said.

“I don’t think it will die, but I don’t think it will be as popular as it always has been,” Rumble said. “However, I don’t think it will be MySpace-tragedy bad.”

Every social media site will eventually be replaced by something new, said junior Chrystian Floyd.

“There’s a new social network every six or so months, so a lot of people aren’t on Facebook as much as they used to be,” Floyd said. “They’ve moved on to Twitter and Instagram.”

Facebook can often have a negative effect on people, said sophomore Lauren Blue.

“I see people on (Facebook) ever day,” Blue said. “They get addicted and attached to (the point) where if it shut down, they wouldn’t know how to live. The only (social media sites) I use are Pinterest and LinkedIn, which I use for business and jobs.”