Damsel in Defense equips UNA women against campus assaults

Damsel in Defense retailer Jayann Moraites said that women “have to take safety into their own hands.” By taking advantage of SNAP on campus and self-defense classes, students can learn how to protect themselves.

Safety has been a concern for the campus community, especially for female students after a series of alleged sexual assaults that occurred on campus during the 2012-2013 school year.

Damsel in Defense is a new home-based business that sells non-lethal tools, including pepper spray and stun guns, in different colors and patterns that are more appealing to women. The mission of the company is to equip, empower and educate women to be better protected, said Jayann Moraites, a local retailer for Damsel in Defense.

“By educating women we can empower them,” Moraites said. “They’ve got to take safety into their own hands. I hope that (this business) will grow in this area and women will want to learn to protect themselves.”

Amy Carraway, a freshman, said she likes the idea of Damsel in Defense.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Carraway said. “It’s cute stuff and I know some people who are concerned about safety. The only problem I see is people might stop buying it after everyone has it, but I would buy it.”

Shiloh Shelton, a junior, also said she believes it is a positive idea.

“I think it’s a good idea because women should have easier access to getting this kind of stuff,” Shelton said.

Chief of Police Bob Pastula said he believes the use of these tools is a good idea. He also said he advocates for the Rape Aggression Defense (RAD) class that the police department offers.

“Anything (people) can do to fight off attackers is a good thing,” Pastula said. “I think that if they had the opportunity they should take that RAD class. They learn self-defense and then they get a free pepper spray with it. It’s just an investment of eight hours.”

Sophomore Luke Stokes said he felt more at ease because his girlfriend carried pepper spray.

“I felt more comfortable (with) her having (a safety device) in case something happened,” Stokes said. “She had even talked about possibly taking self-defense classes and that, to me, made me feel more comfortable just to know that she could protect herself if she had to.”

Emily Kelley, Coordinator for Women’s Studies, said she also believes pepper spray is a good idea, but that buying gadgets does not guarantee protection.

Kelley stresses the importance of using the Student Nighttime Auxiliary Patrol (SNAP) and knowing how to defend oneself physically.

“I do push SNAP because that’s using your head,” Kelley said. “When you’re on campus after dark, you’re a target just because of the demographics. But in addition to all those things comes this business about learning how to take care of yourself physically.”

Kelley also wants students to remember that nothing can make them completely immune to an attack.

“Women already blame themselves when they get attacked,” Kelley said. “I just don’t want to see that happen because in some cases no matter how equipped a woman is, the attack is going to happen and, no matter what she does, she may not be able to overcome it. We blame ourselves too much anyway and it’s not our fault no matter what happened. It’s never the woman’s fault when she’s attacked.”

Students can learn more about Damsel in Defense and Jayann Moraites by going to mydamselpro.net/JAY. For an escort, call SNAP at 256-765-4357.