Procrastination causes exam time stress

Time management is key to successful studying and important to keep from stressing over exams, officials say.

With finals rapidly approaching, some students are beginning to feel the pressure and stress that comes with college life.

Finals sometimes have a way of releasing stress that has built up throughout the semester. When dealing with finals, some students procrastinate to avoid studying; others make a plan that includes outlining chapters or reading notes.

“Don’t wait until the last minute to study,” said Kathleen Richards, assistant director for the UNA Writing Center. “The best thing you can do is manage time wisely.”

Finals begin May 3, but the all-night study sessions and last-minute cramming will begin before that. For some, a major contributor to stress is finding the line between passing and failing.

Others make the familiar mistake of starting to study large amounts of information mere hours before a test. Though this study method may work for some, it does not work for all.

Richards said students should manage their time so that if they have a test on Monday, they start studying the Wednesday prior for at least an hour every day.

Since finals often make up a large percentage of the final grade for a course, it can almost be guaranteed that students will experience stress at some point.

Students find unique ways to stay calm in the midst of the chaos of final exams.

“I go to the SRC and work out and I like to take walks downtown,” said Ben Vandiver, UNA graduate student.

For some students, simply taking time apart from the books is a perfect way to keep from feeling overwhelmed.

Some need a more structured study plan.

“I read my textbook and my notes from class and review whatever my teachers put on Angel, like PowerPoints,” said Emily DeVaney, UNA junior.

One thing is guaranteed about finals: without some kind of study plan, making the desired grade is going to be a challenge.

“I say the secret to not stressing about finals is put in more consistent work throughout the semester,” Vandiver said. “That way, your finals won’t be a pass or fail.”

Many teachers do their best to keep students level-headed during finals week.

Gregory Pitts, UNA Communications Department Chair, suggests listening carefully to instructors for hints while looking over previous exams.

“Feel free to ask questions,” he said. “No faculty member wants to make a hard exam but a thorough exam.”

At some point, it becomes necessary for students to put down the books in order to escape the feeling that they are in over their heads, Richards said.