Students create music videos for Munookʼs new album

Members of UNA’s Film and Digital Media Production (F&DMP) Department presented The Munook Experiment April 5 in the Communications Building, showing an uninterrupted public screening of music videos they created to accompany Munook’s album “In & Of It.”

The music of Munook is written and performed by David John Lanier with contributions from other artists on the album.

“Each musical creation is left open-ended and largely improvisational in order to allow room for the songs to ebb and flow with subtle changes, thereby staying fresh to the creators and the listeners from performance to performance,” according to Munook’s website.

Every one of the 10 videos was made voluntarily, nine by UNA film students and one by Jason Flynn, assistant professor of F&DMP.

“There are three things you need in this field: talent, drive and luck,” Flynn said. “Voluntarily making these videos demonstrates drive. When an opportunity is put out there and (students) take initiative, it makes me proud. That’s the part I can’t teach.”

UNA student Adam Robinson said he enjoyed attending The Munook Experiment.

“Being a film major, I always like to see what other film students are producing,” he said. “It encourages me to work harder on my own projects.”

Lanier gave the students total creative freedom, allowing them to listen to the music and do whatever inspired them, Flynn said.

Leah Franks, who made the video for “Making Fire,” said the song inspired her video.

“I thought the lyrics’ jaded themes about wanting to make a difference in the world could fit a weary war vet, so I asked my dad to be a part of it,” she said. “He’s a Naval Reservist who’s toured Afghanistan with the Army, so he had plenty of inspiration to give. The whole thing was really fun. It gave me a good chance to spend some time with my dad, which I don’t get to do very often these days. It felt good to be able to involve him in my creative pursuits and show him how proud I am of him and his military duties.”

Each of the videos will be sent to separate film festival competitions, free of charge for the students, and all of the videos will be online.

“I think the music was a labor of love, and I think the videos were a labor of love,” Flynn said. “I expect us to do something like this again in the future.”