Body for bucks

Octapharma in Florence offers up to $50 per visit for plasma. The process usually takes up to two hours.

Donating sperm, eggs and blood plasma could provide students with an alternative income. Some of these options can be very lucrative but not always without a physical price to pay for the donor.

Although Florence doesn’t offer sperm or egg donation clinics nearby, Octapharma Plasma is a blood plasma donation center that is available for students or others who would like to donate.

David Doss, director of Florence’s Octapharma Plasma, said many students come to donate, along with others from the community.

“Some people come for the money, and others come because it is just a good cause,” Doss said. “Recently, a husband and wife started coming in to donate plasma. They only recently found out what blood plasma was, and have since been donating because the woman’s sister was saved due to plasma donations.”

Octapharma accepts donors from 18-64 years old after a health requirement screening. Doss said the first time donating lasts around two hours. After that, it is much quicker.

Even though it’s not as lucrative as donating eggs, Doss said a regular donor can make up to $400 a month. Donors are encouraged to come in twice a week by being scheduled to receive a higher payment the second time.

“Technically, we are not compensating you for the plasma; we are paying you for your time,” Doss said.

UNA student Amy Brown hasn’t had direct experience with donating, but she said she wouldn’t be opposed to it.

“I’ve known for a while that was an option that’s out there, but I’ve just never really thought about it seriously,” she said. “I think if I was in a financial bind, I would sell plasma or eggs to science. It feels like more of a backup plan to me, though.”

Before donating, students should know the possible health risks. While donating sperm is usually harmless, there are some requirements that are uncomfortable. According to The Seattle Sperm bank, donors must be abstinent for 48-72 hours before each donation.

While male donors may find this merely annoying, female donors endure more strenuous requirements. According to the ART Fertility Program of Alabama, donors must undergo pelvic ultrasounds, quit all birth control and take psychological tests during the screening process.

Then, after another number of tests and interviews, the donation cycle begins. Women must take pills and injections in order to get on the same menstrual cycle as the recipient and take fertility treatments to help egg development. Finally, the donor is sedated to undergo the egg retrieval process.

Despite the health worries, donating can be a good option for students who need extra cash, Doss said.

“This is definitely a beneficial thing for the donors and others,” Doss said. “There are hundreds of health uses for the donated plasma, and the donors are being compensated.”