BCM brings Christian rappers to campus

Four local rap artists came together March 8 to perform at Raptermath, an event focused on sharing Christianity through hip-hop.

The event, sponsored by Baptist Campus Ministries, hosted Unanimous, Swang, Star and J. Forgiven — better known on campus as Kyle Jefferson. The event was organized by Jefferson, a sophomore, and engineered by senior Nathan Johnson with freshman Darien Harris as emcee.

“Before I got there on Friday, I didn’t really know what to expect as far as sound equipment goes,” Johnson said. “But I knew that they’d put on a killer show, and they did just that. I was somewhat concerned about the cables and adapters — there didn’t seem like enough to make this thing happen. So, I prayed to Jesus, who always comes through for me, and somehow it all ended up working out perfectly.”

Raptermath tried to show the community that Christians do not only like stereotypical music.

“Raptermath shows those who are not Christian that you do not have to be a gospel-singing Christian,” said Stormy Morgan, UNA freshman. “More people can get involved next time if we have more artists from our own school.”

Jefferson performed his single “Not My Home,” which affected not only those who have heard it but a new and unlikely audience.

“Most international students, including me, didn’t know what they were rapping about,” said Abdullah Karaman, UNA freshman. “But I enjoyed it. The song was special because there are two meanings for me: first of all, USA is not my home country and second, we (as people) only have a small amount of time to live this life.”

The event was powerful with many people raising their hands and interacting with the band and rap artists afterwards in a casual setting.

“I had a lot of fun and the performers were really energetic,” said Binta Balajo, UNA freshman. “But it could have lasted longer. It ended too soon.”

The performance lasted an hour and a half and included a band comprising bassist Travis Dykes, guitarist Phillip Blevins, pianist Philip Towns and drummer Chad Miller. Dykes performed his first single with sister Lakia Dykes and rap artist Star at the close of the show which incited a roar of applause.

“I would love to help Kyle Jefferson with this event next semester if I am able,” Johnson said. “Raptermath has always served as a great avenue for utilizing musical and lyrical talents to minister to others and present the Gospel to college students who are hungry for truth.”

Raptermath provided students with a platform to voice their inner feelings.

“God gave us the arts to express love, even if it is through rap,” Morgan said. “I’m a songwriter myself, and (Raptermath) was an awesome start to my Christian discernment.”