ʻEverybody Knows Somebodyʼ

UNA held National Eating Disorder and Awareness Week Feb. 26 through 28.

Jennifer Berry, licensed professional counselor for Student Counseling Services, said prior to NEDA week that the week would be an opportunity to dispel any myths and provide information about eating disorders.

“The whole week is about igniting awareness of the seriousness of eating disorders,” she said.

According to nationaleatingdisorders.org, the rate of development of new cases of eating disorders has been increasing since 1950. In particular, the rate in college students has risen from 10 to 20 percent in women and 4 to 10 percent in men.

Many believe eating disorders are the result of vanity issues, but an eating disorder is a psychological issue that requires treatment, Berry said.

Students can often times help their friends seek proper treatment.

Emily Sullivan, a student at UNA, said that if she had a friend who showed signs of unhealthy eating patterns, she would simply ask how they were and offer advice, which is what Berry advises students to do.

“Let friends know you’re there for them,” Berry said. “Just say, ‘Hey, I’m here for you.’”

People with an eating disorder don’t typically seek help until there is a health reason.

Student Alex Rubalin said he thinks males would be less likely to report having an eating disorder simply because of embarrassment.

“It’s stereotyped more as a female disorder, even though it’s not,” Rubalin said.

Berry said men are less likely to talk about having an eating disorder because of this perceived label, but it does not discriminate. She said an eating disorder can affect anyone, regardless of age, race or gender.

According to nationaleatingdisorders.org, a negative body image can be one the first triggers of an eating disorder and one of the final and most difficult stages of recovery.

“I think college students, especially females, are worried about what society thinks about their weight,” Sullivan said. “It’s a very unhealthy way to live.”

Developing and maintaining a positive body image can be difficult, but student Krys Eubanks said she is able do so by participating in exercise that she enjoys with friends.

“Eventually it’ll get to the point where you don’t want to go two or three days without working out,” Eubanks said.