Student shares rules for college, life success

Randy Thomason, a senior professional accounting major, is president of Alpha Tau Omega and is involved in several other organizations on campus.

Randy Thomason, a senior professional accounting major, said he has three rules that have guided his college experience.

“My No. 1 rule is to call your mama every day,” Thomason said. “Talk to a parent or grandparent every day. No. 2  is to make sure that you capitalize on any opportunity or desire you have. Make sure you can look back at college with no regrets. No. 3 is to treat everyone you interact with like you would treat your best friend.”

Thomason, from Morgan County, is currently the president of Alpha Tau Omega, as well as a recipient of the Undergraduate Service Award for 2011-2012.

“Right now, as far as campus involvement goes, ATO is my main focus,” Thomason said. “I’m focusing on ensuring it continues to operate at an appropriate level.”

Thomason is also working with offices like Student Engagement and Career Planning and Development to plan and coordinate events such as Backpacks to Briefcases.

“I’m helping put together events to encourage students to participate in the organization,” Thomason said.

Thomason said he has always been an organized and math-minded person, which has helped him succeed within his major.

“Next spring, I’m going to be interning at CDPA in Athens,” Thomason said. “Next August, I’ll be preparing to take the CPA exam (Certified Professional Accountant exam).”    

As a professional accounting major, Thomason said he ultimately hopes to gain a position at a public firm someday.

“I enjoy working with businesses and seeing how they function or can be profitable,” Thomason said.

Thomason also credits his success with the education he has received from professors in the UNA College of Business.

“I’ve probably gained the best technical skills in accounting that I could have asked for,” Thomason said. “My skills will be second to none because of UNA and the professors here.”

Thomason said he credits his involvement with Greek Life to his overall success.

“My involvement (with Greek Life) has been a unique one,” Thomason said. “I’ve been held accountable for all of my actions. I’ve been expected to perform well academically.”

As far as hobbies go, Thomason said he enjoys playing golf, as well as most other athletic activities. He said he also enjoys spending time with his fiancée Anna Beth Ferguson.

“Anna Beth and I met six days after we moved into LaFayette Hall our freshman year,” Thomason said. “Our friendship just evolved and continued to evolve, and now we’re getting married.”

Thomason said the time he has spent at UNA has given him so much valuable life experience.

“My time here has been exceptional,” Thomason said. “I’ve been able to experience it all. I’ve learned a lot about myself and how diverse people are from each other.

“Through Greek Life and campus involvement, I’ve been expected to be the kind of man that I would be proud of. I believe it’s those basic foundations that lead to the success that you want to see, whether it’s personal or campus success.”