Civil Wars concert sells out in less than 12 hours

The Civil Wars are set to perform Oct. 1 in Norton Auditorium on campus.

The Grammy-winning local duo is comprised of UNA alumnus John Paul White and Joy Williams. The concert, sponsored by UNA’s Alumni Association, is already sold out, officials said.

Their first full-length studio album “Barton Hollow” has won them a Grammy for Best Folk Album and Best Country Duo this year.

The tickets for the concert sold out not even a day after they went on sale, said Carol Lyles, director of Alumni Relations.

Approximately 1,300 people from over 10 different states purchased tickets before UNA opened the next day.

“Anyone who was a The Civil Wars aficionado knew where to get tickets,” she said.

Norton Auditorium seats 1,650 people, which is approximately how many tickets were sold, Lyles said.

Lyles said the money from the ticket sales will go to help with expenses of the performance, with remaining money going to help certain departments on campus. One department will be entertainment industry, in which White holds his degree.

With tickets selling so quickly, some students missed their chance to see The Civil Wars on campus.

Morgan Liveoak, a UNA student, was disappointed she missed her window. “I’ve wanted to see them,” she said.

The students who were lucky enough to purchase a ticket on time, however, are thrilled to see the band perform.

“I am so stoked about The Civil Wars coming to campus,” said Victoria Sparks, a UNA student. “I always keep my eye on their tour dates to see if they’ll be nearby, but since I’ve been a fan, I haven’t had any luck with that.”

She said she had heard rumors about the band performing at UNA before and jumped on her opportunity to see them as quickly as she could.

“The time that it took for the tickets to sell out was ridiculous,” she said.